Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) logo. Left hand side is a grocery bag with an egg crate, bread, an apple, broccoli, and a carton of milk sticking out the top. On the right of this is the title "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program".

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program



New increased income guidelines are in effect as of October 1, 2022. If your children qualify for free school meals or milk, you might also qualify for SNAP (formerly called Food Stamps). SNAP helps people buy food for themselves and their families. SNAP benefits are issued each month on plastic debit cards. You can use SNAP
benefits to buy food at major supermarkets, neighborhood grocery stores, online at participating retailers, and some farmers’ markets authorized to accept SNAP.


How to Qualify

              Effective July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023
If and how much SNAP one qualifies for depends on:              Household Size Gross Monthly Income Gross Annual Income
  • your household's income
  • allowable deductions to your household's income (examples include monthly shelter expenses, medical bills, and court ordered child support)
  • your household size
  • at least 5 years U.S. residency for qualified non-citizens
             1 $ 2,265  $ 27,180
            2 $ 3,052 $ 36,620
             3 $ 3,839 $ 46,060
            4 $ 4,625 $ 55,500
            5 $ 5,412 $ 64,940
            6 $ 6,199 $ 74,380
            7 $ 6,985 $ 83,820
            8 $ 7,772 $ 93,260

If you have access to the Internet, you can go online to see if you are eligible on the State of Connecticut's Department of Social Services website or by clicking the 'Am I Eligible?' image below. Owning your own home or owning a car will not prevent you from being eligible for SNAP.

            For each additional member +787 +9,440
Small person holding a sign over their head that reads "Am I Eligible?"              Larger households = higher incomes


To Apply or Get More Information

To find your local Connecticut Department of Social Services (DSS) office, call United Way's free referral number 2-1-1 (free call statewide).
  • To Apply Online: 
    • Visit the State of Connecticut's Department of Social Services website (click here) and click on 'Apply Now'.


  • To Apply by Mail:
    • A paper application is available in either English or Spanish. Please select your language below.



  • Need Assistance?
    • The following two organizations conduct outreach for DSS and can assist with applying for SNAP benefits:
  • End Hunger CT!  End Hunger CT provides a SNAP eligibility screener to assist in determining eligibility. If eligible, you will stretch food dollars, support your school and community and your kids get school meals at no cost.  For assistance call (866) 974-7627 (SNAP) or click on the Need Assistance image to the right.


  • Connecticut Association for Community Action (CAFCA)  The CAFCA works with the following community action agencies that will help you enroll in SNAP:




Banner that reads 'Needs Assistance?'



The Connecticut Association for Community Action (CAFCA) logo.

      (860) 450-7400     Windham and Tolland Counties
  • Alliance for Community Empowerment (Alliance)
       203-366-8241     Greater Bridgeport Area and Upper Fairfield County
      (203) 387-7700     Greater New Haven Area
      (203) 744-4700     Northwestern CT and Lower Fairfield County
      (860) 560-5600     Hartford of Middlesex County
      (860) 225-8601     New Britain and Bristol Areas
      (203) 575-9799     Greater Waterbury, Meriden, and Torrington Areas
      (860) 889-1365     Southeastern CT - New London County
      (203) 736-5420      Naugatuck Valley

USDA Food and Nutrition Service logo.  Information on this page is updated directly from the SNAP website. Information was revised December 15, 2022.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
  Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
  1400 Independence Avenue, SW
  Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
2) fax: (202) 690-7442
3) email: [email protected]


The Connecticut State Department of Education is committed to a policy of equal opportunity /affirmative action for all qualified persons. The Connecticut Department of Education does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of age, ancestry, color criminal record (in state employment and licensing), gender identity or expression, genetic information, intellectual disability, learning disability, marital status, mental disability (past or present), national origin, physical disability (including blindness), race, religious creed, retaliation for previously opposed discrimination or coercion, sex (pregnancy or sexual harassment), sexual orientation, veteran status or workplace hazards to reproductive systems, unless there is a bona fide occupational qualification excluding persons in any of the aforementioned protected classes.

Inquires regarding the Connecticut State Department of Education's nondiscrimination policies should be directed to:

Levy Gillespie
Equal Employment Opportunity Director /
Americans with Disabilities Coordinator (ADA)
Connecticut State Department of Education
450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 505
Hartford, CT 06103
(860) 807-2071
[email protected]

Document containing this information is available from the State of Connecticut website. Click Here for a copy.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.  *Accessiblity*